A Bit of an Update

So I have no pictures to share with you today. I have no charming or funny or even boring stories for you. I have some things I could post in all honesty, but I got to tell you, I'm exhausted. Between the chemo and the steroids and the weight gain, I'm starting to feel rather drained. I wish I could just stay in bed and eat muffins all day- but that probably wouldn't help with the weight gain.

Anywayyyyyy...

I swear, I actually have some good news for you guys.

I guess my progressive hardship with the chemo is indicative of how well it's working. I mean that's what I told myself in the beginning, and even now.

I got my second PET scan last Monday. In order to not make everyone feel lectured- a PET scan basically measures how radioactive the cancer is inside me. Lower radioactivity, good. Higher radioactivity, bad. I got one after my first round of chemo, and it kind of looked like this very simplified and childish graphic:



All the places where you see the red circles, that's where the cancer and radioactive cells were. Of course, the main spot being in the chest, with other sites in the stomach and groin area. Also, the activity in these sites were pretty active- meaning the radioactivity was pretty high. Of course, I was Stage III. 

After my last round of chemo (number 3), I got a follow up PET scan to check my progress. It kind of looks like this though:


See the difference? Basically, all the radioactivity and cancer spots that were in my stomach and lower are gone now. I am only left now dealing with a much smaller and less radioactive mass in my chest.

YAY! So after my 6th round (which may possibly be my last) in early August, I will get one final PET scan to make sure all the radioactivity is gone. With my specific type of cancer, it is not necessary to completely get rid of the tumors, only to get rid of the cancer cells and radioactivity within the tumor. 

So hopefully, I'll be able to give you guys another update at the beginning of August that says the radioactivity is all gone. And hopefully, as me and my friend Kay joke, I'll be cancer free in 2015!!

Anyway, I just wanted to share some good news so I can hopefully make myself feel a little bit better and less sick. At least my pain is working towards something.

Also, sorry about the purely cancer talk today. I know it's not the most glamorous thing or the most pleasant. But people do ask me to update them with how I am feeling/progressing/doing so I thought I'd do a short and sweet post about it. 

P.S Sorry for the unedited writing. Again, I'm not up to it. I don't feel like editing, I don't feel like caring. I'm going to drown my drowsiness in making fun of the Kardashians now.

Adios.



2 responses :

  1. Thanks for clear and honest explanation of how you're doing. We don't like to ask, but we like to know. A muffin or two can't be so bad, huh? I declare it's a Be Nice to Kelly Day, and that deserves a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great News!! Thanks for the progress report and explanation :-)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogroll

About