Journey's Beginning



Hi y'all! Welcome to my corner of the internet. Doubting this will be of any significance to anyone, I will shamelessly post my deepest and most embarrassing thoughts. I'm 21 years old and on break from university right now. 

Why on break? Well that story begins a little over two months ago. I had come down with a terrible sickness that exhibited flu-like symptoms right after my 21st birthday. I was experiencing these symptoms for a little over three weeks when my parents finally took me to the emergency room. The doctors ran some tests and- long story short- found some pretty nasty cancer inside me. I know, bummer. I was transferred to one of the better hospitals around here where I received a biopsy and waited for my results. And I mean waited. It took a healthy two weeks for the oncologist to diagnose me (the National Institute of Health got involved). Finally, after a hell of a two weeks, I was diagnosed with stage III primary mediastinal diffused b-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Perhaps I am saying it wrong, whatever, it is quite a mouthful. 

Anyway, prognosis is good, I'll be okay. I am on my third cycle of chemotherapy now. About halfway done. Seem to be progressing rather well, but I'll keep you- my invisible readers- updated. But this blog isn't about my cancer, it's about my life. I am not my sickness. Plus there are plenty of blogs out there about people's fight to healthy. Although I will undoubtedly touch on the subject, I will not revolve around it. For it is not my reason for living. 

Before my life was flipped 180 degrees, I was burnt out, in my second year of school, and still unsure of my passion. I was studying nutrition- which I love and hope to incorporate into my future- but was not enjoying my program or my school in general. In a really sick and twisted way, I guess you could say my cancer saved me.

John Green wrote this teen book entitled "Looking for Alaska". The main character, Miles, had this unusual hobby of memorizing famous people and their famous last words. His favorite, and mine after reading the novel, were from a poet named François Rabelais. He said, in his moments before dying,"I go seeking the Great Perhaps."And that's what this whole thing is about. My journey to my passion, my wishes, my dreams, the person I really am. It's about self-discovery. It's about my personal journey to the Great Perhaps. My thoughts, my musings. My mistakes, my triumphs.  

xXx
K

4 responses :

  1. Beautifully written! I love that quote. Sending those pictures to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quote - "I am not my sickness". You aren't defined by what happens to you. I believe it is about the journey and who you become while dealing in whatever is thrown your way. Press on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be one if your invisible readers! Searching and wondering publically takes courage, and it makes good reading. Pushes the rest of us to do dome of the same. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous that I couldn't be there. It's probably one of the best things we all do - eating and shopping. We'll do it soon!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogroll

About